Monday, February 2, 2009

The Binki

So, McKayla has had a binki forever . . . almost 3 years now. It's been her friend, her companion, her stress reliever and chew toy. Well, last week at Walmart I determined that I was not going to buy anymore binkies after the new pack in my hands got lost or destroyed. It took a mere 2 days after opening the new pack for her to chew holes in both of them. So, Sunday morning I cut the tips off of both binks and told her that they were broken. Mean, I know, but I was having a hard time keeping a straight face while I looked at her. She looked so confused, so concerned. She turned it over and around and then tried to suck on it. She was not impressed with the broken binki and threw it on the floor. Every once in a while she picks it up to check if it is still broken. Thankfully, she has been coping remarkably well without them. I did feel a twinge of guilt today at Walmart when she kept looking wistfully toward the baby section. She knows where binkies live. I know she tought we went there to get new ones. Oh, well . . . I didn't feel that much guilt! There is a light at the end of the binki free tunnel. I can almost taste the freedom.

2 comments:

Ben and Alissa said...

I love that she kept checking it to see if it was still broken. Wow, three years! Katie never took to pacifiers that well, and moved on to thumb sucking... yeah, I know. So now there's no taking it away or telling her it's broken, so we'll see what happens with that as she grows up.

Amber Madsen said...

I did that to Emma's binki when I took it away from her and she screamed like it was the end of the world, for just one night. Then magically she just didn't care, but I'll ALWAYS remember how funny her face was and how LOUD she screamed. Alan and I both had a REALLY hard keeping a straight face!!! That's hilarious that she knows where the binki's LIVE!!