Sunday, November 1, 2009

Labor and Delivery

This is the 3rd time I've been on the internet since Liam was born on the 22nd. Sorry for the delay in info and cute pics. Here's the low-down on the whole labor and delivery. Wednesday the 21st my mom and I took a super power walk. My whole body was sore when I got home. Around 12:30 in the morning on the 22nd I woke up and started timing contractions. They were very mild but they were happening every 4 minutes. After about 4o minutes and several prayers, I decided to wake Lonnie and call my mom. We got to the hospital around 2am. I told my nurse I was a little nervous that I was jumping the gun but I didn't want to have the baby in my living room! I was dilated to a 2 and she reassured me that I had made a good choice to come in because I was definitely in labor. Well, unfortunately my labor stopped around 5:30am . . . completely! After the waiting for it to pick back up on its own and getting a new morning nurse they finally put me on pit around 8:30. My nurse was new and was worried that there were problems with the umbilical cord so they upped the pit very, very slowly. At noon I was only at a 3. Ugh! I was feeling so frustrated because I had expected Liam to be born by noon. At this point, they decided to give me the epidural. I was really shaky because I hadn't eaten anything and my blood sugar was low. I kept telling the nurse I felt like I was going to fall of the bed while the anesthesiologist was getting started but she didn't come to me and brace my shoulders. The epidural sent shooting pain down my back and leg. I started sobbing and finally the nurse came to me. The anesthesiologist tried again . . . more shooting pain followed by my right leg flopping around like a fish. Excruciating. I was so glad that Lonnie wasn't in the room because it was so painful and I was crying so hard. Around 1:30pm my doctor came to check on me. He wasn't pleased with my progress and decided to increase the pit a little more. Then he said he'd be back after his office hours . . . around 5:30. I almost had a panic attack because that meant he didn't think Liam would be born for another 4 hours. I was trying so hard to keep myself in control. Luckily my contractions did eventually pick up and by 5:30 I was ready to push but the doctor wasn't there! The nurses kept telling me to hold on but after nearly 18 hours I didn't want to hold on. I wanted him out!!! Thankfully my doctor got there by a quarter till and Liam was born at 6:03pm after 3 massive pushes. He was 7lbs 12oz and 20 inches long. He is a great nurser and sleeper.
Just barely born.

Kayla meets her new baby brother.

Beckham wasn't too concerned about having a new baby . . . he just wanted my fruit cup!

Officially a family of 5.

My parents holding Liam . . . their 6th grandbaby.

Liam and his new monkey.

Dressed and ready to go home.

Cute baby!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about time you posted the story, I've been wondering! So... did the doc ever mention why getting the epidural was such a hard thing this time?

He is super cute Jill, but you already knew that didn't you ;)

Jennifer said...

Congratulations! So sorry that it didn't go very smoothly for you, but I'm glad that both of you are healthy and well! What a cutie!

Ben and Alissa said...

Congrats!! Sorry to hear it was a little rough going. But that's all over and you have a super cute, snuggly baby!

Noelle said...

Congratulations!!! He is adorable. What a crazy delivery story...I hope recovery is better. Good luck with three little ones! Take care.

Amber Madsen said...

Congrats! He's very cute! Hope everything is going wonderful for a family of 5!!!