Monday, November 10, 2008

Proposition 8 - Marriage

My thoughts about Prop 8 have been rolling around in my mind for several days now. I’m not the type of person who usually gets involved in this kind of issue. I’d rather sit on the sidelines and let the world go by. I’ve always been afraid of offending others or being labeled judgmental. I’ve been trying to get my thoughts about gay marriage written out as politically correct as possible, but I’ve finally decided to write this the way I actually feel about it. I apologize in advance to those who choose to be offended. With that said, I am glad that traditional marriage passed. I only wish it would have passed by a larger margin. For me, marriage was instituted by God and defined as a union between a man and a woman for the purpose of companionship and populating the earth. The need for companionship can be filled in a lot of different ways but creating life requires a male and a female. Not only that, sexual powers are God given and only to be used within the bonds of marriage. I realize that the majority of people don’t live that way, but God’s laws don’t change just because we don’t follow them. I say leave marriage alone; it’s sacred and not ours to change. I have many homosexual friends and they are some of the kindest, funniest and most loving people I know. It’s not my place to tell them how to live. I can love them without agreeing with their lifestyle. If they choose to fulfill their need for companionship with someone of their own sex, so be it. Give them the legal rights concerning insurance, taxes, death, etc. that they seek but don’t change the definition of marriage.

I see that our country is completely divided on this issue, but I would hope that people will cast their minds to the future. If gay marriage does pass someday, what comes next? Will we legalize threesomes, polygamy, incest, bestiality? With the door open to gay marriage, how could we then say no to these other types of unification? This thought leaves me feeling sick. We live in a society that would rather embrace immoral practices than stand up for what they believe to be true. People are so afraid of saying the wrong thing or being politically incorrect that they have lost the courage to stand up for what they believe in. Most people who live by moral principles are labeled as judgmental. However, the ability to make judgment is crucial to our well-being. We use our judgment every moment of our day as we choose what to eat, what to wear, who to associate with and all the other things we will or will not do. I am grateful to have judgment, to think, to reason, to act – to stand up for what I believe in. I’m tired of being labeled as hateful because I feel no hate. I just want to know that my right to believe in traditional marriage is protected. I don’t think my little letter will change the world, and I didn’t write it to start a fight. I just hope it makes people think.

4 comments:

Corrine said...

amen!

Anonymous said...

here here!

Noelle said...

For just saying what you feel, that was beautifully put! I couldn't agree with you more-

megan said...

Nice post, Jill. I wrote a post but never published it on my blog. It was mainly for me to sort through my own feelings. It has been a very interesting few months to say the least. I'm glad things have cooled down a bit now, but I'm sure this will continue for a long time.